The BBM for Android has just been updated to the new version with the material design. This update also brings a lot more features. Features as seen in the beta zone and on the BBM for iOs. Now it’s on Blackberry Messenger for Android, officially.
The update is not limited to the design, it also added more functionality, privacy control, orientation, adjustments, some of which are not that cool for some users. Like the positioning of the menu bars (chat, feeds and contacts) from the bottom of the screen to the top. The Message Retraction feature has been improved and its not limited to only retracting messages, you can now Edit sent Messages. You can now also quote messages and send again. You can also see your own updates in the feeds. See the list of the new features below.
What’s New / Change-log
- An all-new look and feel inspired by Material Design.
- A New icon. Now has the same icon like that of BBM for Blackberry 10 and iPhone.
- Private Chat – In a private chat, contact names and new message notifications are hidden, and the chat will self-destruct after being inactive for a short time. Perfect for the kind of conversations you would usually have in-person.
- Edit Message – retract, edit, and send again
- Quote Message – Reference and reply to a previous message in your chat.
- Hide unused sticker packs
- Tablet support
- Landscape support
- Update your status from the feed.
The only thing I don’t like about this design is; the Chat Screen. The attachment buttons (Picture, camera, location, docs…) are now opened up by default, and is now too close to the send button (as in the image above). IMO, it would have been better represented by a button like in the previous version where one click pulls up the menu. It may take a while to get used to that.