VLC Media Player is no doubt the most popular media player available. With the ability to play almost all (if not all) media formats. In addition to its ability to act as a universal media player, it can also convert media files perfectly (that I’ll show in this post).
Why waste time and money searching for a video converter when you can do it for FREE. In this post is how to convert media (audio, video like webm) with VLC media player. You need to get the recent version of the software first, because I used a recent version for this tutorial. It’s better to have up to date versions of softwares generally. The output is better than that of most (not all) media converters in the market with no loss in quality (if you don’t reduce it yourself). VLC doesn’t just convert video; it converts all media formats playable by it.
How to Convert Video with VLC?
- Get a recent version of VLC player,
- Launch the software,
- Click on media,
- Scroll down & choose Convert / save,
- On the file selection screen, click Add, and navigate to the file to be converted,
- Around the button right corner of the interface, click the drop-down list and select Convert
- On the next screen, choose your preferred destination. Here, make sure you include the desired format in the filename e.g. new video.mp4,
- Next is the Settings tab. From the drop down menu, select the format you want. Either Audio or Video,
- With all above settings correct, click Start.
- You’ll now see the seek bar move like you’re playing audio. Don’t worry about the video, just watch the moving bar. The movement represents the conversion progress. When it’s complete, go to the folder you chose (destination) in step 7. There you have your video in your desired format.